gnupic: SDCC

Subject: Re: rep: SDCC
From: Scott Dattalo ####@####.####
Date: 3 Jan 2005 04:30:05 +0000

On Sat, 1 Jan 2005, Anthony Toft wrote:

> I have extended gpsim to include the 16F876 processor (I am actually
> using the 'A but it's close enough) and I'd like to generate a stimulus
> on the usart to explore a bug in the firmware I am writing, I haven't
> found anything regarding this, does anyone have any pointers?

Hi Anthony,

There currently is not a convenient way to do this. A few weeks ago I was
attempting to resurrect the uart module so that uart tests like these
could be performed. However, I ran into a bug with the way uart peripheral
was being shared with the normal I/O port pin. The bad news is that I
don't even thing the usart module in a PIC is being simulated correctly.

Without a uart module (external to the PIC), there's not a convenient way
to usart transmissions. For receiver testing, you have to manually create
stimuli that represent the timing of the edges of your byte. There's a
utility in the extras/ directory called rs232-gen/ that will assist in
creating these. However, I have not updated this utility since changing
the way stimuli are formatted - so even this tool is going to be of little
use... Sigh. I'm *really* falling behind here folks...

Scott