gnupic: DIY USB programmer ?

Subject: Re: DIY USB programmer ?
From: Manuel Bessler ####@####.####
Date: 5 Jan 2005 01:27:43 +0000

First of all, thanks for the quick replies.

I'll address a few points here that came up in several replys and
clarify some things...
... specific responses to suggestions I'll post in seperate mails.

Note: When I say "intelligent", I mean a programmer where not the PC
      but whatever is in the programmer 'box' does all the hard work,
      ie. timings, program algorithms and such.

* USB 2 Serial Converter: For the commercial "intelligent" programmers
  this is usually no problem, but it probably won't work for
  non-intelligent programmers (like JDM, Tait)

* The solution should be low-cost. Most of the users of my project
  don't want to spend more on the PIC programmer than the main part of
  the project.

* While I could design a *simple* "intelligent" programmer, and make it
  part of my project, I don't have the time, and there are already
  people out there who download the lastest programming specs and
  implement it into their intelligent and non-intelligent
  programmers/software (Pikdev, IC-prog,....), so I don't want to
  duplicate this over and over.

* Availability: as with nearly every open source project, my open
  source/hardware project has users that live in different parts of the
  world. Some like pre-built hardware, some like kits, some build it all
  by themselves. If I tell everyone that they should order programmer X
  from company Y, this might be convenient for some, inconvenient for
  others. Shipping times, customs, and taxes would add to the price.
  Thats where the JDM programmer excels: the parts can be found just
  about anywhere in the world.
  It'd be nice if it were as nice as connecting a serial-to-usb
  converter between PC and JDM programmer and be done with it, but I
  don't think this will work.

* Supporting users with their programmer troubles would take up more of
  my time that I'd rather spend on developping my project futher.

* bootloaders: The way to go, but the loader has to get into  the PIC
  first. I use a bootloader for the main pcb of my project.
  All the PICs people order from me are preprogrammed with a bootloader
  (with boot-block protection bit set, so they don't accidentally
  overwrite it :)

I thought about pointing people to WISP628, since it can apparently deal
with usb-to-serial convertors... but then again, it might be
inconvenient for some to order from the Netherlands.
Also, its just an ICSP programmer, and not all of my boards feature ICSP
capability.

Manuel
--
Opensource/Free Software: No Gates, No Windows