gnupic: DIY USB programmer ?

Subject: Re: DIY USB programmer ?
From: David Willmore ####@####.####
Date: 5 Jan 2005 23:55:04 +0000

> I've been listening to Manuel on the subject. He expressed issues in terms
> of shipping, duties, taxes and the like.

I understand what those are like.  I work with a club that sells
electronics kits (www.njqrp.org) and we ship them all over the
world and it does sometimes become an issue.  But, for something
like this, if you put 'gift' or 'sample' it generally passes
right through.

> Again the original project wasn't to build a programmer. It was to program
> a chip for a cockpit simulator.

I see the distinction.

> While shipping a preprogrammed PIC may be the solution, I tackled the
> problem of "I have this blank PIC. I want my cockpit simulator now. So
> now what?"

I like your solution, too.  I'd be very curious to see it working.

> > That would be a very cool project, but I'd really only want to bootstrap
> > the first 'real' programmer with it.  Otherwise, you're going to be relying
> > on too many marginal issues--timing, software, etc.
>
> Again we aren't trying to build a real programmer here. I think that's the
> point that most have missed. It's a one and one.

Right, we just want *one* chip programmed and then well go back to our regular
tasks.

> Of course you and I would use it to bootstrap a better programmer. But that's
> not its intended purpose.

:)

> So we're in agreement.

Fully.

> > SASE+sample chip or just paypal someone $10 and ask nicely? :)
>
> Or the bootstrap programmer that I've described.

Certainly.  Both are valid ways to get a chip programmed. :)  They
both have things to recommend them and drawbacks, as well.

I'm looking forward to having to dig out a 555 so that I can try
your bootstrap programmer scheme.  It looks fun!

Cheers,
David