gnupic: DIY USB programmer ?

Subject: Re: DIY USB programmer ?
From: Manuel Bessler ####@####.####
Date: 6 Jan 2005 04:07:47 +0000

Hi David,

On Wed, Jan 05, 2005 at 12:13:17PM -0500, David Willmore wrote:

> But the max values aren't the catch with those guys.  From the experiences
> of some friends of mine who tried that it seems that the windows driver
> has a few 'gotchas'.  Here's a common task for speaking to a PIC when
> you're programming it:
>
> Fine, you say, those <waits> can be as long as they want.  Sure, they
> can, but that's not what you run into.  The FTDI windows driver *caches*
> things you send to it and only updates the chip (over the USB) some 8000
> times a second.  If you say "do something" and wait a little bit and
> then say "do something else", there is no guarentee that those two
> somethings will be sequenced when they hit the chip--they may hit the
> chip simultaniously--violating setup times for data->clock.  So, I find
> these chips to be useless for this task.  Blink a LED with a pin, yeah,
> they can do that, but something with delicate timing?  No.

Hmm. I'd think that this shouldn't be a problem with those adaptor
cables, esp. the USB-to-parallel ones. If you talk to a printer via such
a cable, and packet/bytes get sequenced wrong, you might end up having
reversed/missing chars/lines in your printout... ??

> The thing that I feel makes it a good solution is that the programmer
> isn't all that 'intelligent'.  I really want to resist the temptation
> to make it really 'intelligent'.  For that way lies specialization
> and that doesn't buy me--as a programmer--much.  Sure, if I was making
> some very specific tool for quickly programming chips and it had to
> do it as fast as possible, sure.  But for a hobbiest or more casual
> professional designer, a few seconds is no huge issue.  Especially if
> it ends up being able to program more chips. :)

Agree :)
I think your programmer could make a good substitute for hobbyists in
post-RS232 times. (as much as I hate to see RS232 go)

> > And the new USB flash PICs would be a great way for this. I even have
> > two 18F2550's here :)
>
> :)  Oww, looks like you just offered to be a tester. :)

Well, if you have something ready, tell me and I'll setup something for
testing.

> > > To the computer, it will look like an USB->RS232 'dongle', so most
> >
> > This is even better. Excellent idea. I'm looking forward to your design.
> > Will it be free/open source ?
>
> With all of the work Craig, Alain, and Scott have done for all of us,
> could I honestly *not* make it open?

good thinking :)
I'd be great to have a gnupic PIC programmer...
If the design gets wider acceptance, then more of the programmer
softwares (pikdev,ic-prog,...) will adopt support for it.

Your design might be an option for those of my users that order pre-made
pcbs of my project from me. Then it would'n't make a big difference in
shipping. Of course, those who etch their own boards, buy PICs locally,..
they need the non-intelligent bootloader PIC programmer.

> > Please keep me posted on your programmer project.
>
> Sure will.  I should probably set up a mailing list for interested
> people.

yep.

Manuel
--
Opensource/Free Software: No Gates, No Windows