gnupic: GTK+Extra2.0 dependency hell

Subject: Re: GTK+Extra2.0 dependency hell
From: Scott Dattalo ####@####.####
Date: 9 Jan 2005 16:00:39 +0000

On Sun, 9 Jan 2005, Geoff Horn wrote:

> On Saturday 08 January 2005 18:33, Scott Dattalo wrote:
>> On Sat, 8 Jan 2005, Borut Razem wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Gpsim's GTK+Extra2.0 dependency is really a pain in the as (excuse my
>>> words).
> <snip>
>> BTW, I saw a post from Adrian Feiguin (the original GTK extra author) on
>> the GTK list the other day. I wonder if he's going to fix GTK extra...
>>
>> Scott
>
> Why the dependancy (apart from invested time/experience) on GTK, why not fork
> to a more stable graphics library like qt3, or even FLTK?

Geoff,

GTK+Extra has nothing to do with GTK. It is not managed by GTK team.
They're completely separate.

GTK is stable. GTK+Extra-2.0 is not stable.

So, I *have* made a conscientious decision to remove gpsim's dependency of
GTK Extra. The fork is a branch in CVS called gui2. This was discussed
about three months ago or so. Since then, I've written down a loose set of
features that I want in the new gui (it's in CVS and called TODO-GUI). I
wrote some prototype code that demonstrated a subset of these and I even
posted a link to a screen shot illustrating it. We've also have discussed
replacements for GTK sheet (really the only widget gpsim is deeply
dependent upon). I've written two different register sheet prototypes,
neither of which I really like.

I've also considered qt3, FLTK and even wxWindows. However, I really don't
think the problem is the tool-kit per se. The problem is with a third
party widget. But gpsim is structured for the most part such that the gui
is not deeply entrenched in the simulator core. In fact, gpsim is
comprised of three libraries: the core stuff, the command line interface,
and the gui. In theory, the gui could simply be replaced with something
else. Since GTK-2.x has been released, I have made more reliance on GLIB
(a library supported by the GTK team and upon which GTK depends). However,
I suspect that GLIB can coexist with any graphics tool kit.

Overall, the biggest problem is time...

Scott