gnupic: DIY USB programmer ?

Subject: Re: DIY USB programmer ?
From: David Willmore ####@####.####
Date: 11 Jan 2005 02:30:33 +0000

> Well, those who buy say a bare PCB or a full kit from me, yes, but some
> people build it all from scratch. They buy the parts from local
> electroncs stores and mail order places. The people are not just from
> the US or Germany, but from all kinds of places from all over the world.
> One guy went to a local place to program the PIC because he couldn't get
> his DIY JDM to work. AFAIR it costed him a couple of bucks just for
> programming once...
>
> Manuel

Okay, then. How about this.  We agree on a design and someone develops
it--we'll need the software to go with it.  Then we give the design to
Olimex and any other kit/board producing orginization that wants to
make them.  We make the software available to them, as well.

Now, the only question/decision is to decide if we want to make this
design to be a 'bootstrap whatever PIC' or 'bootstrap *a* PIC to make
a *real* programmer for *your* PIC'.  The software is a lot easier
for the latter, but the hardware is a little bit more complex--you
need a design that is both a bootstrap programmer and a real programmer.

For my part, I'm willing to make my code for a USB/RS-232 based semi-
intelligent programmer available.  The 18F2550 should be available
for a few years and we'll see about porting it to whatever successor
it has when/if it goes away.

I'd like to see a design that will last a few years--maybe until the
time that USB phases out. :)

Cheers,
David