gnupic: DIY USB programmer ?

Subject: Re: DIY USB programmer ?
From: Justin Fielding ####@####.####
Date: 11 Jan 2005 09:46:20 +0000

David Willmore wrote:

>>Well, those who buy say a bare PCB or a full kit from me, yes, but some
>>people build it all from scratch. They buy the parts from local
>>electroncs stores and mail order places. The people are not just from
>>the US or Germany, but from all kinds of places from all over the world.
>>One guy went to a local place to program the PIC because he couldn't get
>>his DIY JDM to work. AFAIR it costed him a couple of bucks just for
>>programming once...
>>
>>Manuel
>>

>Okay, then. How about this.  We agree on a design and someone develops
>it--we'll need the software to go with it.  Then we give the design to
>Olimex and any other kit/board producing orginization that wants to
>make them.  We make the software available to them, as well.
>
>Now, the only question/decision is to decide if we want to make this
>design to be a 'bootstrap whatever PIC' or 'bootstrap *a* PIC to make
>a *real* programmer for *your* PIC'.  The software is a lot easier
>for the latter, but the hardware is a little bit more complex--you
>need a design that is both a bootstrap programmer and a real programmer.
>
>For my part, I'm willing to make my code for a USB/RS-232 based semi-
>intelligent programmer available.  The 18F2550 should be available
>for a few years and we'll see about porting it to whatever successor
>it has when/if it goes away.
>
>I'd like to see a design that will last a few years--maybe until the
>time that USB phases out. :)
>
>Cheers,
>David

That sounds like a great idea.

How about a real open source USB pic programmer (USB2 would be even
better?).  If done well it could even be made MPLAB compatable (I
currently use the Warp13, serial version which is great, but serial)
because soon enough Microchip will release a Linux port (or someone will
get it running properly with WINE).  The problem is, if it's worth
doing, it's worth doing well, so it should support pretty much all
devices and maybe even eeprom.  Schematics, software and firmware for
the onboard microcontroller/s should be available for free, with kits
and prebuilt units available in the US, EU and Australia for a
reasonable price.

Just my $0.02, not that I have any right to comment as I don't have the
skills to be able to contribute :(

I hope something good comes of this, it would be really nice to see.

Justin.