gnupic: DIY USB programmer ?

Subject: Re: DIY USB programmer ?
From: Manuel Bessler ####@####.####
Date: 12 Jan 2005 03:19:06 +0000

On Mon, Jan 10, 2005 at 09:30:29PM -0500, David Willmore wrote:
> > Well, those who buy say a bare PCB or a full kit from me, yes, but some
> > people build it all from scratch. They buy the parts from local
> > electroncs stores and mail order places. The people are not just from
> > the US or Germany, but from all kinds of places from all over the world.
> > One guy went to a local place to program the PIC because he couldn't get
> > his DIY JDM to work. AFAIR it costed him a couple of bucks just for
> > programming once...
> >
> > Manuel
>
> Okay, then. How about this.  We agree on a design and someone develops
> it--we'll need the software to go with it.  Then we give the design to
> Olimex and any other kit/board producing orginization that wants to
> make them.  We make the software available to them, as well.

I think this sounds great.

> Now, the only question/decision is to decide if we want to make this
> design to be a 'bootstrap whatever PIC' or 'bootstrap *a* PIC to make
> a *real* programmer for *your* PIC'.  The software is a lot easier
> for the latter, but the hardware is a little bit more complex--you
> need a design that is both a bootstrap programmer and a real programmer.

For the latter, you mean that it should be a programmer that
 * has the ability to 'bootstrap itself', ie. program the PIC for the
   intelligent part of the programmer using a non-intelligent "do it
   once" approach like what Byron is working on.
 * once bootstrapped can be used as a USB based general purpose hobby
   PIC programmer (maybe even as a production programmer if its not too
   much extra work)

> For my part, I'm willing to make my code for a USB/RS-232 based semi-
> intelligent programmer available.  The 18F2550 should be available
> for a few years and we'll see about porting it to whatever successor
> it has when/if it goes away.

I have a AN851 variant bootloader and Linux code for it. (A windows port
is in progress.)
As I'm currently working on that as part of my project, the code is
maintained and could be used for the programmer if wanted.

> I'd like to see a design that will last a few years--maybe until the
> time that USB phases out. :)

Sounds good to me :)

Manuel
--
Opensource/Free Software: No Gates, No Windows