gnupic: DIY USB programmer ?

Subject: Re: DIY USB programmer ?
From: David Willmore ####@####.####
Date: 12 Jan 2005 19:47:14 +0000

> > Now, the only question/decision is to decide if we want to make this
> > design to be a 'bootstrap whatever PIC' or 'bootstrap *a* PIC to make
> > a *real* programmer for *your* PIC'.  The software is a lot easier
> > for the latter, but the hardware is a little bit more complex--you
> > need a design that is both a bootstrap programmer and a real programmer.
>
> For the latter, you mean that it should be a programmer that
>  * has the ability to 'bootstrap itself', ie. program the PIC for the
>    intelligent part of the programmer using a non-intelligent "do it
>    once" approach like what Byron is working on.
>  * once bootstrapped can be used as a USB based general purpose hobby
>    PIC programmer (maybe even as a production programmer if its not too
>    much extra work)

Exactly.  The 556 can be used in two places in the circuit--once for the
bootstrapper and once in a HV power supply switcher.  That keeps the
micro from having to walk, chew gum, pat its head and rub its belly all
at once. ;)

> > For my part, I'm willing to make my code for a USB/RS-232 based semi-
> > intelligent programmer available.  The 18F2550 should be available
> > for a few years and we'll see about porting it to whatever successor
> > it has when/if it goes away.
>
> I have a AN851 variant bootloader and Linux code for it. (A windows port
> is in progress.)
> As I'm currently working on that as part of my project, the code is
> maintained and could be used for the programmer if wanted.

A simple bootstrap programmer would be great.  Once Byron comes up with
a final hardware design, I'll look into adding support for it to Pikdev--
I'll have to look into how to add a new backend so that the programmer
can be used in 'semi-intelligent' mode.

> > I'd like to see a design that will last a few years--maybe until the
> > time that USB phases out. :)
>
> Sounds good to me :)

:)  Well, for my part, I'm going to try to finish up some Pikdev chip
support code (sorry Alain) and watch Byron work his magic! :)

Cheers,
David