gnupic: DIY USB programmer ?

Subject: Re: DIY USB programmer ?
From: Byron A Jeff ####@####.####
Date: 14 Jan 2005 12:20:28 +0000

My goodness! I got three copies of this message.

On Fri, Jan 14, 2005 at 08:19:11AM +0100, ####@####.#### wrote:
> For the programming, why don't use a simple ASCII TEXT, that are pasted into
>
> hyperterminal, or cu as example.

Because the more times that you have to change software, the more complicated
it becomes for the user.

If you use the same piece of software, even if you have to change parameters
inbetween, the user will become more familiar and comfortable faster.

Also as developers it's easier to debug if you're only using one tool.

Finally Manuel et. al. were asking for verification of the dump, which
the hardware will support. However a simple ASCII dump cannot easily support
that feature.

> Thereof, it should sufficient modify a existent and simple cli burning
> programm, that
> dumps the hex code out as ascii code in base of the clock and data lines.
> Or as alternative, every visual basic programmer (win) can modify a basic
> serial
> communication programm to do that.

That the better path. But still it's better from all angles to use the same
code base.

Porting pkp to Windows isn't a difficult task. As Alain pointed out in his
post, it was really smart to separate the programming engine core from the
user interface. Because of that another interface using wxWindows or
possible even pdcurses with mouse support and soft buttons is possible.
A third possibility is to have a VB or python interface application that
calls the core pkp app.

The key is to support only a single codebase. If the pikdev programming core
is used everywhere then any updates to that core is automagically propogated
to all of the variants. Same for bug fixes.

If you have a separate application, then it has to be maintained and debugged
separately.

I've been in the homebuilt programmer arena for a few years now. I still have
folks trying to use picprog and FPP for the Trivial programmer because they
are listed on the TLVP site. One codebase (FPP) has been abandoned, and the
other (picprog) has been left far behind by Pikdev.

Don't reinvent the wheel. Clone it.

BAJ