gnupic: DIY USB programmer ?

Subject: Re: DIY USB programmer ?
From: David Willmore ####@####.####
Date: 14 Jan 2005 18:03:47 +0000

> Actually I've already talked to Alain today. I sent him a preliminary spec
> of what the new port interface would have to so. It's serport with a
> handful of modifications.

For the 'bootstrap' serial programmer?  Excellent!

> I know it's not Windows folks natural interface. I never realized how
> strongly the point and click paradigm is ingrained into Windows folks until
> I saw one of my students recently trying to point and click on a BIOS screen!

Oh, oh, ouch, that made my brain hurt.  I think I got a brain cramp...

> While there are some options (wxWindows, pdcurses with mouse support) I'm
> just not too sure I want to tackle another GUI.

Same here.  "In the beginning was the command line."  And that's plenty good
to get the job done.

> > If we get a taker for a windows port, that would be *invaluable* information.
> > >From watching the PIC-EL folk try to do the ELMER-160 lessons on windows,
> > using FPP, I expect it to be very useful to get right.
>
> What kinds of problems did you see?

This is second hand as I didn't try to use windows for it--I was the 'how to
do it with linux' guy for the project.  But, they had a great deal of trouble
getting FPP to be able to access the serial port hardware so that they could
manipulate the PIC-EL programmer hardware to program the 16F84A on the board.
There was a lot of attempts to use USB->RS232 adapters and most of those
attempts were unfruitful.  I think there was one brand of adapter reputed to
work.  The bootstrap programmer would have been perfect for that project.

> > It's sometimes sad to retire useful code, but sometimes it's easier for
> > everyone--once it's been outgrown.  Maybe we need to have a little memorial.
>
> Actually Brian is still working on it as far as I know. I posted a couple of
> items to his picprg forum maybe a year ago.

Hmm, I sent him some updates and I never heard back.  Maybe they got caught
in a spam filter or something, but I took the lack of a reply to be an indication
that picprog was dead.  I had pretty much moved to Pikdev at the time, so I
didn't push the matter.

Cheers,
David