gnupic: gplink missing symbols

Subject: Re: gplink missing symbols
From: Craig Franklin ####@####.####
Date: 21 Jan 2005 05:38:54 +0000

Vangelis Rokas wrote:

>There is an issue with gplink when resolving symbols from archives.
>The problem appears when linking an object with two or more archives
>and the later archives depend on symbols defined in the earlier archive.
>
>An example would be like this:
>
>gplink -m -o out main.o lib1.lib lib2.lib
>
>Suppose that lib1.lib contains the symbol foo1
>and lib2.lib uses this symbol.
>
>gplink exits with missing symbol error message.
>
>This could be fixed by modifying build_tables in gplink/gplink.c
>to pass twice while loop around the scan_archives() function
>call.
>This way missing symbols from libraries that will be introduced
>in later libraries (i.e. lib2.lib) can be resolved by symbols in earlier
>libraries (i.e. lib1.lib).
>
>In fact 'twice' might not be the appropriate number, but we could
>continue passing until the is no change in the result of count_missing()
>function.
>
>What's you opinion Craig?

mplink does allow this, so I have modified gplink.  The update is in cvs
and the snapshot.  Try it out and let me know how it works for you.

The new version repeats the archive scan if there are missing symbols
and if an object was loaded from an archive on that pass.  This should
support any link list provided by the user.  Of course, the extra loops
will require more link time, so it is best to keep the link list as
simple as possible.