gnupic: Re: Pic18Forth pre-pre-pre-alpha

Subject: Re: ANN: Pic18Forth pre-pre-pre-alpha
From: Craig Franklin ####@####.####
Date: 23 Jan 2005 16:36:38 +0000

David McNab wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Contrary to earlier pre-announcement, I've decided against a closed
> distribution of early pre-alpha Pic18Forth.
>
> So, after some weeks' hacking, the first pre-pre-alpha version,
> Pic18Forth-0.0.0, is available for public download, poking, prodding,
> praise, ridicule etc.
>
> Working well enough to try out, even got some semi-decent doco,
> including a full development cycle walkthrough, plus machine-generated
> HTML word glosary. Certainly enough to help people find their way around
> and make quick sense of what's going on.
>
> Don't expect perfection - probably lots of bugs, lots of things yet to
> implement. But that's what pre-alpha releases are for, right? ;]
>
> http://www.freenet.org.nz/pic18forth
>
> Have fun.
>
> All constructive ideas, comments, criticisms etc gratefully received.

Nice work.  It is good to see more options becoming available.

Scott, can you add a link on the gnupic website?

Help me understand the licensing and the exemptions.  Your intent is to
allow development of closed sourced pic applications, right?  That can
be done if three clauses are satisfied.

> Pic18Forth is used to develop firmware for finished, boxed turnkey
> hardware appliances, such as consumer appliances, car alarms,
> subsystems of other appliances etc.

Please define the words "finished" and "boxed".  Does this mean I can't
sell a library of objects generated with your compiler without providing
the source code, but I can distribute a linked application (hexfile).

> In manuals or packing for the product, the following text appears
> verbatim:

This prevents me from telling everyone I created the closed source
application generated by your compiler.

> No software is enclosed with the product, or shipped separately, which is
> aimed at supporting software development activities. For instance, the
> author
> expressly forbids integrating any part of Pic18Forth into any
> closed-source
> programmer toolkit.

So I can't use MPLAB to invoke your compiler and still get the
exemption?  What about using an ICD?