gnupic: Linux PIC software and hardware

Subject: Re: Linux PIC software and hardware
From: Byron A Jeff ####@####.####
Date: 24 Jan 2005 13:35:19 +0000

On Sun, Jan 23, 2005 at 08:21:04PM -0500, ####@####.#### wrote:

> > > I'm guessing that David Tait parallel programer is:
> > > 1. non-linux designed,
>
> Byron A Jeff wrote:-
> >  Yes but not relevant.
> >
> > > 2. to be driven from the paralell port.
> >
> > Yes.
> >

> > > I too have a 'DOS-based', paralell port programmer, but I
> > > couldn't get DOSEMU to drive the paralell port.
> >
> > No need. There are about six or seven Linux only programming tools that
> > will drive such a programmer.
> >
> The software has to match the par-port driven hardware eg. the bits
> chosen for various hardware lines are arbitrarily chosen by the designer.

Not exactly. Most every one of these software tools allows for the
configuration of the relevant bits. So you can configure it for your
particular flavor of programmer.

> I want[ed] to use the existing hardware; therefore the existing
> DOS-based software was appropriate.
> > >
> > > How would you get a reasonable edit-compile/asm-progm-test
> > > cycle with a DOS-based, paralell port programmer ?
> >
> > PikDev: http://pikdev.free.fr
> >
> I was so frustrated with DOSEMU [a more than decade old project,
> where the subtle ambiguities of German confusing the english doco,
> still hadn't been removed] that I just aborted.  I don't want to open
> another can-of-worms just yet.

PikDev is a native Linux/KDE/QT project that is in active development
and the primary developer, Alain Gibaud, participates on this list.

While I admit that I've had a couple of struggles with versioning when
trying to compile the latest PikDev that Alain sent me, all in all it's
an excellent all in one IDE for handling the entire development cycle.

In addition Alain has separated the actually programming engine from
the user interface. So if you really want instant gratification you can
use the text based pkp programmer included in the distribution. It
has one extremely simple setup file to edit, and off you go.

Aside to Alain: I found it useful to incoporate the hardware test into
the pkp interface. Also it made sense to go ahead and use the data from
.pkprc for the setpins of the hardware instead of the hardwired code
in hardware::hardware_test(). If you like I can send you an update.

BAJ