gnupic: More on a USB PIC programmer for Linux

Subject: More on a USB PIC programmer for Linux
From: Micah Carrick ####@####.####
Date: 28 Jan 2005 20:31:29 +0000

Hello,

I've been posting in the piclist for advise on a USB pic programmer that
works under Linux and recieved alot of good suggestions.  I'm currently
"on the fence" trying to decide between the following two options:

1. http://www.kitsrus.com/upuc.html#k150
Purchase the USB kit #150 from DIY electronics and write my own Linux
software for it.  May require reprogramming the firmware and will
definetely consume quite a bit of time, however, it could then be shared
with others.  My question for this is: Has anybody tried working with
any of the DIY kits on Linux and can offer any suggestions or advise?

2. http://www.voti.nl/wisp628/
Purchase a wisp628 kit and a USB/Serial converter (as many people have
done) which is known to work under Linux.  My question here is: Can
somebody reccomend a USB/Serial converter to use and offer any feedback
on their experience with this option?

Just trying to provoke more discussion to help sway my decision.  Thanks
for all the support.

Micah Carrick