gnupic: gpasm/gplink bug

Subject: gpasm/gplink bug
From: David McNab ####@####.####
Date: 4 Feb 2005 14:06:15 +0000

Hi,

I hit a situation tonight where gpasm/gplink failed to issue a warning
for an 'RCALL' instruction that was out of range (pic18f452).

Since I'm trying to save every byte I can, I'm using 'bra' and 'rcall'
in place of 'goto' and 'call' at every opportunity, and depending on
gpasm/gplink to warn me when these jumps are out of range.

gpasm and gplink version is 0.13.0 beta.

Apologies for failing to enclose a patch, or even reproducing the bug in
a minimal example. I only see the problem with large and intricate
programs, so I anticipate that boiling down to a small example might be
very difficult.

Also, after hunting the problem for some hours, my eyes are bleary with
tiredness (especially since I've been debugging within a multithreaded
plus interrupts environment in pic18forth).

What I can say is that I'm assembling a single relocatable source to a
.o file, then linking it standalone (not linking to any other files).
And when I replaced the rcall with a 'call', the problem went away.

Any thoughts?

--
Cheers
David