gnupic: Re: [gnupic] multitasking

Subject: Re: [gnupic] multitasking
From: David McNab ####@####.####
Date: 4 Feb 2005 22:22:02 +0000

FWICT, both these OS kernels require a C compiler.

ATM there are no full-featured free C compilers for PIC18 (or any PIC,
for that matter).

sdcc, the best of the free bunch, appears to be incomplete.

OTOH, the 'free' versions of the commercial compilers are either
time-bombed, or have some hideous crippling (eg, 3/4 of program memory
space disabled, or max 1024 instructions/module etc)

Back to Pic18Forth...

After having got the static multitasker working and looking stable, I'm
now working on a dynamic multitasker (allowing spawning/termination of
threads at runtime). Bigger overhead than the static multitasker, but
much more flexible (can pass initial stack args to new threads, can run
multiple thread instances of the same function, can stop/restart the
multitasker...). But even with the larger overhead, I'm fitting the
kernel, scheduler, support routines plus three threads into less than
4kbytes of program memory.

I'll include this in the next alpha announcement when it stabilises.

Cheers
David