gnupic: Re: [gnupic] Flex sensors alternative

Subject: Re: [gnupic] Flex sensors alternative
From: slimboyfatboyslim ####@####.####
Date: 6 Feb 2005 21:16:43 +0000

Dante wrote:

> On Sun, 6 Feb 2005, slimboyfatboyslim wrote:
>
>> hi list,
>>
>> Currently I'm working on a typical flex sensors with PIC
>> (http://www.imagesco.com/catalog/flex/FlexSensors.html)
>>
>> But what I need is a very soft sensors, which when you bent it, it
>> seems to be a cloth or a piece of paper,
>>
>> is there anyone working on very soft flex sensors or is there any
>> alternatives?
>>
>> I'm afriad my question is a bit out of scope but I really need some
>> help.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> SFS
>>

> Disclaimer:
> I have not tried this, so I do not know what if any constraints there
> are on the limits of flexibility.
>
> I understand that it is possible to set up a piece of optical fiber
> with a common LED as a light source. You then run the fiber to a
> reasonably sensitive pickup such as a photo-transistor. This allows
> you to measure the intensity of the light transmitted through the
> fiber. Due to the way the fiber conducts the light *any* flexing of
> the fiber will cause a minor change in the amount of light received.
> It will take some experimentation (and possibly an amplifier after the
> photo-transistor) to calibrate for your application, but it should be
> very light weight, and should be rather sensitive.
>
> I hope this helps.
>
> Keith Blankenship

alright, it's a pretty cool method, look like "spy" gadget.

But I need to build a small interface which around a 8 cm height,
rounded-shape.

BTW, I've found sth called Force Sensitive Sensors
(FSR)(http://www.steadlands.com/psttype.htm),
it seenms not very popular. Does anyone use this before? analogue or
digital?

Any more information on either FSR or alternative will be appreciate.

Cheers,
SFS