gnupic: Re: [gnupic] stumped with simple led/button circuit

Subject: Re: [gnupic] stumped with simple led/button circuit
From: Greg Hill ####@####.####
Date: 1 Mar 2005 01:32:18 +0000

On Mon, 28 Feb 2005, Tsu Do Nimh wrote:

> I have, to test my setup, put together a simple circuit w/p16f877a,
> 20MHz crystal, button on PORTA,0, and led on PORTB,0.  I've compiled
> assembler code to this target that copies the PORTA input register
> (button) to the PORTB output register.
>
> I checked all the voltages and connections, tried (success) shorting
> the led cathode to ground.  I attached an oscilloscope lead to the
> crystal to verify it is ticking ok.
>
> But the button doesn't work.  After looking at the hardware, I assume
> the problem is somewhere in the programming of the chip.
>
> I'm using a PS+ and the picp programmer to load the program.
> Disassembling the .hex file results in:
>
> =8<-------
> 000000:  1406  bsf      0x6, 0
> 000001:  1683  bsf      0x3, 0x5
> 000002:  1006  bcf      0x6, 0
> 000003:  1283  bcf      0x3, 0x5
> 000004:  0805  movf     0x5, w
> 000005:  0086  movwf    0x6
> 000006:  2804  goto     0x4
> 002007:  3f32  addlw    0x32
> =8<-------
>
> After loading the corresponding .hex code (gen'td using 'gpasm -o
> ledon.hex ledon.asm'), and disassembling a dump from the chip using
> picp/gpdasm, the code looks like:
>
> =8<-------
> 000000:  0000  nop
> 000001:  1402  bsf      0x2, 0
> 000002:  1002  bcf      0x2, 0
> 000003:  1002  bcf      0x2, 0
> 000004:  0001  dw       0x1  ;unknown opcode
> 000005:  0004  dw       0x4  ;unknown opcode
> 000006:  0086  movwf    0x6
> 000007:  2805  goto     0x5
> =8<-------
>
> Can anyone provide insight as to why I'm getting this different code
> out, or how I might look somewhere else for the source of the problem?
>
> Thanks for your help, in advance.
>
> Yours,
>
> Tsu Do Nimh

Hmm. Tsu Do Nimh. Sounds a lot like Pseu Do Nym. Interesting.

I don't know what's going on with the disassembly, but there are a few
other things I'd suggest that you check. I assume you've already
double-checked that you have connected all Vdd pins to +5 and all Vss pins
to ground, right? What's the situation with the reset pin and the
low-voltage programming pin? Depending on the settings in the
configuration word, leaving these pins floating can cause the processor
not to run. I think the reset pin should be tied high and the low-voltage
programming pin should be tied low (somebody correct me please if I got
those wrong). You can wire them through a resistor (1k, 10k, whatever) to
prevent them from being damaged by over-current if they do happen to be
set as digital output pins.