gnupic: Re: [gnupic] Objects compiled on FreeBSD: Compatible with MPLINK on Windows?

Subject: Re: [gnupic] Objects compiled on FreeBSD: Compatible with MPLINK on Windows?
From: Craig Franklin ####@####.####
Date: 20 Apr 2005 03:52:21 +0100

Iain Dooley wrote:

> hi craig,
>
>>> hi there, i've got some object files that i compiled on my FreeBSD
>>> box with:
>>>
>>> gpasm -c -I /path/to/includes files.asm
>>>
>>> i run FreeBSD at home but the labs at uni use Windows and the MPLAB
>>> IDE to program the PicDem2 Demo board using an ICD2 USB hardware
>>> programmer.
>>>
>>> the first hiccup came when i wrote a test program at home and then
>>> tried to build it on the windows machine. the MPLAB IDE recognises
>>> Unix line endings, but MPASM doesn't. i ran unix2dos on my source
>>> file and include files and the project then assembled properly,
>>> however when it came time to link with the object files i compiled
>>> at home, the IDE crashed (stopped responding).
>>> when i got the source files from home and compiled them on the
>>> windows machine they linked fine. has anyone else experienced this?
>>> i looked for an 'mpasm safe' type option to the gpasm assembler but
>>> couldn't find one.
>>> cheers
>>>
>> I don't see any gpasm problems in your description.  There is an
>> issue with debug info.  They will point to the files on the FreeBSD
>> system (i.e. /path/to/includes/myfile.asm).  When you link them in
>> windows, it can't find the files to generate the list file.
>

> okay, so perhaps all i need to do is tell MPLAB not to generate a .lst
> file and it will work with those objects.

That might work.

You could also strip the debug info from the objects.

>> gpasm doesn't care about the file format.  Only mpasm.  So you can
>> either use DOS formatted files or use the gputils MPLAB plugin.
>

> what i thought it might be is that the line endings in the object
> files were Unix and that was crashing MPASM,

The object file is binary, so there aren't any line endings to cause
trouble.

How are you transferring the files?  I had one user ftp objects using
ASCII mode on a windows machine.  The really messed up the objects.

> but when i run unix2dos on an object file it ruins it.

Don't do that.

> i was wondering if there was a switch to gpasm to compile objects with
> dos line endings,

gpasm doesn't care how the text file is formatted.

> but it may be that it's crashing at link time because it can't find
> the assembly files.

That is the most likely cause.