gnupic: Re: [gnupic] MPLAB ICD2

Subject: Re: [gnupic] MPLAB ICD2
From: Sylvain Giroudon ####@####.####
Date: 20 Apr 2005 08:26:06 +0100

I am afraid it won't be that simple.
The current design goes at the lowest level, i.e. at the PGC/PGD driving
level. The hw configuration deals with this level on parports only. No
messages are actually exchanged; it is only a matter of writing/reading
parport signals.
The ICD2 interface works with command/reply messages transmitted through
USB, which are at a higher processing level. This level would propably
be addressed in the lib/icd.c file.

We could split the work into two part:
(1) Reverse-engineering, understanding and documenting the ICD
USB/serial messages; a work that anybody could do.
(2) Then I can take some time to add support for USB/serial interfaces
into GPICD. Maybe I could start defining the framework (the skeleton),
in order for other people to easily add some processing code (the meat).

Regards,
Sylvain