gnupic: Re: [gnupic] gpal examples

Subject: Re: [gnupic] gpal examples
From: Craig Franklin ####@####.####
Date: 19 May 2005 02:17:58 +0100

Gordon Williams wrote:

>>Are there specific problems or features you need from JAL?
>>

>Need is a bit strong.  Data types other than bit and unsigned8 would be
>nice.  gpal didn't support bit types last time I looked and IMHO that is a
>prerequisite.
>
>JAL has a number of quirks which can be worked around.  Things like s = -s
>gives the wrong answer and s = 0 - s doesn't produce any asm code at all (it
>is eliminated).  There are several bugs like this and although many people
>use JAL no one has fixed anything for a few years.  From a maintenance point
>of view it is dead.

Have submitted bug reports?
https://sourceforge.net/projects/jal/

>I know you have been working on linking.  Pic programs are small,

Depends on the part.  A few of the big 18F parts have 65K words.

>and based
>on JAL, compile time of source + libraries is negligible, so speed is not an
>issue.  Relocating code may be of potential use, but I don't see anywhere
>where I would use it.

Speed wouldn't be my first argument, but in some cases it does apply.
First, for me, is local name space.  Next would be code that is easier
to read and reuse (IMHO).

Oh yea, another benefit is you don't get those annoying bank warnings.

>My usual method of operation is create an asm file
>using JAL, use my own program

Have you considered contributing your program to the JAL project?  Other
people could get some benefit.