gnupic: gnupic and PIC Programmer and Test Bed Kit (Australia)

Subject: gnupic and PIC Programmer and Test Bed Kit (Australia)
From: Stuart Woolford ####@####.####
Date: 15 Jun 2005 10:38:50 +0100

Hello,
This is my first post to the list.
I live in Australia, and am about to begin exploring pic programming
(namely the pic16f84/a, which I guess is a good one for beginners? My
main purpose with this project is to construct midi input devices).  I
have been looking at various pic programming beds, and I am thinking
that maybe the Silicon Chip PIC Programmer and testbed (available from
Dick Smith Electronics
(http://www.dse.com.au/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/
42a7f8320937f6462740c0a87f9c06fa/Product/View/K3603) is probably the
way to go. Has any one else had any experience with this programmer
(either in Australia or elsewhere), and can they tell me wether I may
program a pic16f84 with this  bed in conjunction with the gnupic/gpasm
tools? Is the choice of a pic bed and the compiler tools fairly
arbitrary, as long as they can both do the same microcontroller? Thank
you very very much for your time, and I apologise in advance if theses
questions aren't for this list, or my terminology is a bit out of whack
(I'm very new!).

Thanks again,
Stuart