gnupic: [gnupic] When/Why did gpal get dropped ?

Subject: Re: [gnupic] When/Why did gpal get dropped ?
From: Byron A Jeff ####@####.####
Date: 27 Jun 2005 14:45:33 +0100

On Mon, Jun 27, 2005 at 10:20:52AM +0100, Peter Onion wrote:
> I've been experimenting with Wouter van Ooijen's wisp628 ICSP hardware
> and software (which is written in JAL).  The encouraged me to have a
> look at jal as an alternative to assembly language.
>
> Initially it looked quite interesting... until I tried to actually do
> something other than "flash a led" ;-)
>
> If you are interested in my findings have a look on the "jallist" yahoo
> group.

I took a read. Your discussion looks a lot like a discussion of the switch
statement in C. It's irratating to have to write something that's counter
to your expectation. And it's firmly ingrained enough in the culture that
folks have a difficult time seeing why you think it's a problem.

> I've just realised that gpal was a jal "clone" and that it's disappeared
> from the latest gputils releases.  When did that happen ?

gpal wasn't really a clone. Craig certainly had some other ideas.

I saw an announcement on gpal being pushed. But I can seem to locate it.

> I assume it was dropped due to lack of interest and/or lack of
> developers ?

I think it was lack of support time from Craig. It's probably a hiatus.
I can appreciate that sentiment. It's one of the reasons that I never
released my NPCI compiler/interpreter combo. No time to support it.

> Had it progressed beyond jal ?  Did it have any sensible bank switching
> mechanisms ?

Craig has it listed as pre-alpha. The changelog entry indicates that it'll
be back when it reaches alpha status.

> It seems to me that automagic bank and page switching is a essential
> feature of any HILL (high(ish) level language).

Agreed. In its current form NPCI works on the 1st two banks using FSR to
address the target. It should be a seamless operation.

BAJ