gnupic: Re: [gnupic] GNU compiler C

Subject: Re: [gnupic] GNU compiler C
From: David McNab ####@####.####
Date: 4 Jul 2005 16:57:44 +0100

A common favourite is the CCS C compiler
http://www.ccsinfo.com/picc.shtml
favoured for its user-friendliness, ease of use, low cost, exceptionally
good output, and the availability of Linux versions.

It's an extremely well-thought-out compiler, and the way it implements
the C language is intelligent, pragmatic, highly considerate towards the
user, and very appropriate to the PIC environment.

Rather than trying to be full ANSI like HiTech's compiler (with all the
associated overheads, eg 800+ bytes for a simple printf), CCS supports
enough C to satisfy all but the most pedantic, while offering some
excellent PIC-specific extensions.

CCS has a few annoyances, eg the inability to work with modules, which
necessitate writing all one's library code into .h files, as well as
some cruel limitations on assembler-hacking, but overall these quirks
are minor given the overall power and comfort factor of this compiler.

To put all this simply - CCS for me has proven to be the most
'drama-free' of all the PIC development tools I've seen.

And no, I do not have any connection with CCS, Inc.