gnupic: Re: [gnupic] PIC under Linux developpement Howto

Subject: RE: [gnupic] PIC under Linux developpement Howto
From: "Sergey A. Dryga" ####@####.####
Date: 4 Jul 2005 22:23:36 +0100

It is a great idea to create a good tutorial, and I will try to
contribute as much as I can.

I have to disagree with "one language - a relocatable assembler" option.
If a newbie is an EE student, that's fine he or she will have to learn
assembler anyway.  But for a hobbyist, higher level language is much
easier, or maybe even familiar.  I speak from personal experience, I
knew some C before starting with PICs, but had to learn assembler for
the lack of free C compilers.  Now we have multiple options, SDCC, CC5x,
PICC etc., where one can download a free (sometimes limited, but
sufficient for a good number of projects) version.

My suggestion: start with C, a person can learn assembler later when
need arises.  Starting with C will be easier and more rewarding.

Sergey