gnupic: Re: [gnupic] PIC under Linux developpement Howto

Subject: Re: [gnupic] PIC under Linux developpement Howto
From: Byron A Jeff ####@####.####
Date: 5 Jul 2005 03:38:00 +0100

On Mon, Jul 04, 2005 at 05:23:27PM -0400, Sergey A. Dryga wrote:
> It is a great idea to create a good tutorial, and I will try to
> contribute as much as I can.
>
> I have to disagree with "one language - a relocatable assembler" option.
> If a newbie is an EE student, that's fine he or she will have to learn
> assembler anyway.  But for a hobbyist, higher level language is much
> easier, or maybe even familiar.  I speak from personal experience, I
> knew some C before starting with PICs, but had to learn assembler for
> the lack of free C compilers.  Now we have multiple options, SDCC, CC5x,
> PICC etc., where one can download a free (sometimes limited, but
> sufficient for a good number of projects) version.
>
> My suggestion: start with C, a person can learn assembler later when
> need arises.  Starting with C will be easier and more rewarding.

I know how you feel. In an ideal world you'd be right. But unfortunately
PIC assembly is the lingua franca of PIC programming. Almost everyone knows
it in the community, most speak it, many write it, and tons and tons of
examples are written in it.

It's also the only language that pretty much consistently available.

Every C you named above either cost money or has some limitations or
another. In addition because since not everyone uses a single consistent
high level language, you get fracturing of the user base where only a
small percentage of folks actually use the language.

I've been using PICs for over 10 years. I also know C like the back of my
hand. And yet I've never used any of the compilers you've listed above.

Now I'm not saying that one should always stick to a HLL when it comes to
PICs. But you need to know PIC assmebly if for no other reason than to
be able to translate algorithms you find in PIC assembly into C.

There's simply no HLL that will fit the bill for every user in terms of
availablity or support. If you do PIC assmebly, then virtually everyone
can help you. And that's important for newcomers.

And I think you're incorrect about someone learning assembler when the need
arises. HLLs were developed to get away from them.

BAJ