gnupic: Re: [gnupic] PIC under Linux developpement Howto

Subject: Re: [gnupic] PIC under Linux developpement Howto
From: "Robert J. Lee" ####@####.####
Date: 5 Jul 2005 21:52:21 +0100

I really like the idea of making a Wiki dedicated to PIC knowledge. That would
certainly go on my bookmarks!

Such a resource would be useful, not only for newbies but also for anyone who
wanted to know things like subtle differences between different
processors/programmers, objective viewpoints on which processor would be
better for different situations, and little things like that that you won't
get from the Microchip documentation.

The only problem with a Wiki is limiting it to something like tutorials. With
enough people posting, you're bound to get different topics, programming
languages, and various asides being covered. This all adds to the total
information available, but people tend to need more structure when they're
learning. Which hopefully might mean that people will tend to keep the pages
structured.

I also agree with those who say that to program PICs you need to know
assembler. Then again, I've never used a higher-level language for PICs,
(unless you count a whole bunch of macros), so I'm probably not the best
person to judge. But I'd hate to be in the situation where a compiler
introduced a bug into the code and not know enough assembler to track it down
(however likely/unlikely that is).

As far as setting up the basic technology for a Wiki goes, I have a few MB of
web space that I could dedicate to this if people want me to, and I've set up
a Wiki before without too much pain (although I don't know how much time I
could dedicate to moderating it if that became necessary).

— Robert J. Lee