gnupic: Re: [gnupic] PIC under Linux developpement Howto

Subject: Re: [gnupic] PIC under Linux developpement Howto
From: Mark Rages ####@####.####
Date: 6 Jul 2005 00:53:11 +0100

On 7/5/05, Byron A Jeff ####@####.#### wrote:
> >  * for a programmer - probably best to pick one that:
> >     - has minimal parts count
> >     - can work via serial port (PCs usually have 2 serial ports but only
> >       one parallel port, and the parport is often in use with a printer)
> >     - has PCB artwork and parts list, plus working Linux-compatible
> >       on-chip and on-host programming software, freely downloadable from
> >       the net (I bought a great programmer kit from Jaycar, but can't
> >       recommend this because Jaycar only has stores in Aus and NZ, and
> >       this would be a pain for people in other countries)
>
> Programmers are a tough issue. With the decline of the serial port, serial
> programmers are becoming relegated to USB or to using USB to serial cables.
> Neither guarantee compatibility across all potential programmers.
>
> I'm planning on designing a simple, cheap programmer that works with any
> 3 wire serial port. So it should be usable with any USB-serial cable without
> worries about modem control.

Why not use the PicKit?  It's a fast and gentle introduction to the
PIC.  It is designed for the purpose (teaching newbies).  It is cheap
and widely available.  It is USB. It is supported under Linux. It
supports a large section of 16F midrange parts.

Regards,
Mark
markrages@gmail
--
You think that it is a secret, but it never has been one.
  - fortune cookie