gnupic: Re: [gnupic] PIC-based PIC programmer?

Subject: Re: [gnupic] PIC-based PIC programmer?
From: Martyn Welch ####@####.####
Date: 7 Jul 2005 09:10:58 +0100

Hi David,

I've been looking at very minimal programmers recently as a very low cost item
to start with, though these tend to be very slow...

The next logical step for me was to look for open designs which use a PIC.
Obviously you need to be able to program the PIC for the programmer - hence
why I have decided to go about it this way.

There are a number of devices that utilise a PIC as part of there design, but
I don't think I've seen one with an "image" of a bootloader provided on them,
this would be quite a good idea. Unfortunately the PIC would probably also
have to hold information about all the types of PICs it would potentially be
asked to burn and I guess have some way of selecting which method to use to
program the target PIC, I got the impression that not all PICs have identical
programming methods. This would probably lead to the PIC requiring some
further external memory to hold everything, it might also limit the PICs
which could be used to the faster, higher end PICs. I guess input is needed
from someone with more experience in these matters.

Similarly does anyone know of a design for a fast, flexible programmer?

Martyn