gnupic: Re: [gnupic] Why I love open source.....

Subject: [gnupic] Why I love open source.....
From: "matthew heald" ####@####.####
Date: 12 Jul 2005 20:49:22 +0100

I love open source because:-
There are some innovative applications, there are some fantastic
packages, there are some friedly and welcoming discussion groups (howver
there is a a heck of a lot of dross [partially finished, development
frozen or dropped because of personal circumstances all legitiamte but
frustrating none the less].
I hate open source because:- Often tools are often not fully functional,
some features are not fully debugged, documentation is often poor or non
existent, identifying what elements don't work is soemtimes hidden or
stored in a cryptic form. Many developers have a bee in their bonnet
regarding development. Building the application often fails because of
missing dependancies, installing those dependancies is often a
nightmare, sometimes it corrupts the system leading to a complete
rebuild/reinstall. Often open source has a holier than thou ethos. Often
when things come to a crunch the much derided M$$ platform delivers a
working paltform to complete the task, wheras open source collapses in a
heap. To a certain extent you gets what you pays for. Sometimes people
want to help, sometimes people don't.

The anti M$$$ stance comes across as paranoia, it is often self serving
and self defeating it often makes the protaganists argument weaker by
making a general assertion. It's almost like Orwells 1984 and 4 legs
good, 2 legs bad, therefore my current opinon is right by association.