gnupic: Re: [gnupic] Reply-to mangling

Subject: Re: [gnupic] Reply-to mangling
From: Byron A Jeff ####@####.####
Date: 17 Jul 2005 16:24:14 +0100

On Sun, Jul 17, 2005 at 02:43:57PM +0100, Alex Holden wrote:
> On 17 Jul 2005, at 13:35, Byron A Jeff wrote:
> >Just an E-mail aside. The linuxhacker.org list tends to drop the
> >original
> >author on the CC list for replies. So you end up getting two
> >copies. It's
>
> I'm starting to think maybe I should turn reply-to mangling on after
> all. The lists that mangle the reply-to header seem to be very much
> in the majority now, so it does tend to confuse people the first time
> they encounter one that doesn't (I've had a few people complain
> privately to me that "the list seems to be broken" because of this
> over the years). Also the much talked about "reply to list" mail
> client feature (which would have allowed you to choose between
> replying publicly or privately with a single mouse click) hasn't been
> implemented in the vast majority of mail clients, so working around
> it by messing with reply-to in the list server is the next best
> thing. I'm on a lot of mailing lists that have reply-to mangling
> turned on and it does make it easier to reply to the list instead of
> to the sender, which is what you want to do most of the time. I do
> still see people publicly posting messages that they meant to send
> privately because of the mangling, but I haven't done it myself for
> years because I've got into the habit of always carefully examining
> the "To" line before hitting send.

Alex,

Personally I'm using old as dirt text E-mail clients (Mutt and a bit of elm)
so I'm not anywhere near the majority. It's rare that I want to reply privately
to a publicly posted message. So even though it's equally annoying to have to
cut and paste the original author's E-mail address in a rare private message,
it's a rare message.

So personally I would prefer all replies go only to the list. As you point
out above, the gnupic list is the aberration because virtually every other
list sends replies only to the list.

Just my nickel on the subject.

BAJ (who is about to edit the header so Alex doesn't get two copies... ;-)