gnupic: Re: [gnupic] KTechlab

Subject: RE: [gnupic] KTechlab
From: Dante ####@####.####
Date: 18 Jul 2005 03:58:12 +0100

On Mon, 18 Jul 2005, Chen Xiao Fan wrote:

> One problem here: Ktechlab requires newer Gpsim than the version
> provided by Ubuntu 5.04 or official Debian (testing/unstable) but
> I was unable to get the new version of gpsim working.
>
> First I tried to use alien to convert the rpm package to deb but
> it was complaining about shared library. Then I tried to build
> Gpsim using both the tar ball and CVS source but failed in the
> step of make step even though I tried the Debian specific building
> procedures.
>
> Could someone with Debian help me on this? Thanks.
>
> I built the gtkextra 2 using the Sourceforge tar ball since the
> version in Debian or Ubuntu is older.
>
> Ktechlab itself is working and looks quite nice.
>
> Regards,
> Xiaofan

Please note, I had meant for this to hit the list, however I was not
paying attention and sent this off to the improper address.

Ok, it took me something like a day or so to get the packages sorted out on
debian so I could get KTechLab to compile properly. Gpsim was a hangup.

I needed to install the following packages:

libreadline5-dev
libtermcap-compat

as for the gpsim-dev rpm,
after alien I used:

dpkg -i --force-conflicts gpsim-devel_0.21.4-2_i386.deb

this forced the package to install despite the complaints. The newer version of
gpsim seems to be working now.

(Oh yes, of course there was the oh so important 'ldconfig' afterwards)

I cannot recall if the libreadline-dev and the libtermcap were for gpsim or for
ktechlab.

Also, I do not think the ktechlab 'make install' properly moved the monitor
binary, which it seems to need for the pic related things. You may want to
check that monitor is in the same directory as the ktechlab binary.

Dante

--
"I saw a really neat proof showing x^n+y^n=z^n has no solution for
non-zero integers x, y, and z when n>2, but there is not enough space to