gnupic: Re: [gnupic] Reply-to mangling

Subject: Re: [gnupic] Reply-to mangling
From: "Paul B. Webster VK2BZC" ####@####.####
Date: 21 Jul 2005 09:40:21 +0100

Alex Holden wrote:

> Before this turns into a flame war,

  Too late?

> I've listened to both sides (both  the people who replied to the list
> and those who contacted me  privately), and the "Yes" vote
> significantly outnumbers the "No" vote

  As I presumed in what I wrote.

>   so I've decided to turn reply-to mangling on.

  So I see.  Thank you - it makes things /*so*/ much easier.

> Personally I still  think it's an ugly workaround for something that
> ought to be an email  client feature, but I do recognise that I'm in
> the minority in  feeling that way.

  Not in feeling /that/ way, had those who "invented" - or perpetuated -
or perpetrated e-mail, whether protocols or clients, realised the
ascendancy of mail lists, then they would have incorporated functions
which discerned "Reply to List" (default) from "Reply direct to original
sender", and everyone including myself would be happy.  But they simply
didn't, and we work with what we have.

  Where you may be in the minority, is rather in feeling that your sense
of symmetry and elegance (which as a sometime coder, I share), applied
to front-end behaviour, should in any way transcend the necessity for
utility of the software to its primary audience.  Now Ian chooses in his
subsequent post, to refer to this audience as "the computer-ignorant",
but really, it means anyone who wishes to use a system in comfort, and
have it behave in a (plausibly) predictable fashion, so when I am
sitting, supposedly relaxing, following a discussion on a mail list
forum, this includes me.

  Sure, "Voting by counting responses" may not be as pragmatic as
letting only "experts" impose their will, but most people (don't trust
"experts" and) prefer to run a country that way as it seems overall,
safer.  "Clueless people" nevertheless like to have a say in things.

> Actually I have seen that happen on technical lists.

  No doubt.  I don't say it doesn't.  I might have even done it myself
on PICLIST (in the distant past).  If I do it, perhaps I deserve to be
embarrassed.  Perhaps I should be more careful, but I don't make that a
reason to make things more difficult for myself /and/ most everyone else.

  I might have published this earlier, not because I thought it better
to count to ten, but because - Evolution is doing something strange at
home.  Thunderbird 1.0.2(Win) however seems to work pretty well overall
(though I have to run the spelling checker again and again until it
finds all the blunders!).
--
  Cheers,
    Paul B.