gnupic: Re: [gnupic] Is sdcc + gputils + gpsim useful ?

Subject: Re: [gnupic] Is sdcc + gputils + gpsim useful ?
From: "Scott Dattalo" ####@####.####
Date: 27 Jul 2005 22:48:26 +0100

<I'm resending this because apparently the first attempt failed (because I
believe of a reason on my side).>

Peter,

Perhaps your subject should read "how can we make sdcc+gputils+gpsim
*more* useful?" ? I think your main concern is how can we get gpsim to
automatically view source files regardless of how those sources were
compiled, assembled, or linked to generate the PIC firmware.

Ideally, the linker should create a file that contains all of the symbolic
information that the simulator and other back end tools need. If this
statement is true, then SDCC should not be affected at all. As it
currently stands, the .cod symbol files do contain paths to source .asm
files and to the .inc files. I haven't used SDCC in quite a while, nor
have I used gplink's library capabilities. But I would assume that if a
library has been created with symbolic information then the paths to
assembled .asm files should be present. However, libraries do present an
interesting problem in that there's really no good way (other than
embedding all of the .asm/.c source) of ensuring the installed library and
the code from which is built track one another. I suppose a process could
be put in place to copy of all of the source files into a directory and
instruct the resulting library to point its paths at that directory (or
equivalently build the library from the copied directory).

Incidentally, the library search path has come up before for gpsim with
regards to module libraries. As a result, the gpsim invocation option '-L'
allows one to specify a list of colon separated directories that can be
used for searching. Perhaps that option can be extended to mean 'source
directories' too.

Scott