gnupic: [gnupic] SDCC developer says gputils are broken...

Subject: RE: [gnupic] SDCC developer says gputils are broken...
From: Chen Xiao Fan ####@####.####
Date: 29 Jul 2005 01:09:06 +0100

I think Martyn's write-up is quite okay for the setup of
PIC14 support (as well as PIC16 support without library !!).
Anyway PIC14 support in SDCC is quite limited (compared to
PIC16) and is only suitable to simple programs as per the
manual.

For simple programs I think library is not so important.
Therefore we only need to provide some more samples. I am
thinking of porting Microchip supplied PICC Lite sample
programs for the PICKit 1 to SDCC (not so fast) to see how
good the codes generated are.

If one looks into commercial compiler like HiTech PICC, the
ANSI library is hardly used in simple programs. Other than
the ANSI library (to claim to be ANSI compliant on one hand,
to be useful for larger programs on the other hand),
PICC supplies very few libraries. MPLAB C (old) and C18,
on the other hand, supplied quite some libraries but sometimes
people have to debug the libraries and ends up to have to write
their own library. This is according to my colleague who is
writing a C18 program for PIC18F4620 using MPLAB C18.

Regards,
Xiaofan