gnupic: Re: [gnupic] more on weird resets

Subject: Re: [gnupic] more on weird resets
From: John Sheahan ####@####.####
Date: 31 Jul 2005 13:17:30 +0100

A while back, decoupling ttl inputs via a pullup was a great idea
as the damage voltage rating on inputs was less than on the collecter
supply.  I don't think thats  valid  for cmos, as most gates are
connected to one supply - and its gate oxide that matters.

Your suggested solution works as well its a good capacitor connected to
an appropriate virtual earth.

perhaps you could explain more why a connection from VDD to the reset
input is flawed?

line pumping from spikes? positive spikes won't reset the chip for an
active low clr.

Negative spikes on VDD sufficient to cause reset with what I suggested
will drive VDD below 2xVt - so you have issues any which way. Better VDD
decoupling - my first point - is the solution here.

If we are relying on the on-chip wiring as the dominant decoupling
capacitance I guess an external cap will protect against negating spikes
on VDD. Other inputs don't work reliably here. I try not to operate my
circuits there.   Is this what you are suggesting?

IO line switching ? This bounces either internal VSS up or VD down.
An external decoupler does not help here in either case.

RFI? Reducing the coupling to the reset pin is the key here. depending
on where your suggested cap is connected to - it will work as well.
I don't see any obvious cases where it works better. I do assume the
wire I suggested is not longer than the RC individual elements.

regards, john