gnupic: Learning PIC on the job

Subject: Learning PIC on the job
From: Nicholas Robinson ####@####.####
Date: 6 Aug 2005 08:37:28 +0100

Hi

I'm completely new to PIC. I would be really grateful for some pointers as to
which technologies/devices I should use so that I can target my learning
towards my goal!

The controlling application resides on a Linux notebook PC (or PDA???) using
C++/Qt with a wired connection to a master PIC-based device. This master is
in turn connected wirelessly to a variable (say 12-16) number of slaves at a
range of up to 100 feet. The master and slaves need to be battery-operated.

The master is fed a configuration by the PC and then operates in one of two
ways (both need to be available): independently, storing a log of events for
later upload to the PC (a few hundred events only); or it staying in contact
with the PC, updating the application in real-time.

On initialisation, the master would broadcast to find out which/how many
slaves are reachable. Each slave would have a unique ID. The master then
instructs each slave to go into one of four states and stay there for a
period of time, after which they will be instructed to change to another
state. External events may force individual slaves to change state. Slaves
don't need to store anything about the past or future; they just need to be
able to report their current state either on a forced external change or when
polled by the master.

Any suggestions as to the best way to take this forward for someone based in
the UK in terms of programmers/test kits, etc. would be most helpful.

I have tried to make some guesses but I'd probably only embarrass myself if I
included them here!

Best wishes and thanks in advance

Nick