gnupic: Re: [gnupic] Learning PIC on the job

Subject: Re: [gnupic] Learning PIC on the job
From: Martyn Welch ####@####.####
Date: 8 Aug 2005 09:42:34 +0100

- ------ Original message ------
On Saturday 06 Aug 2005 12:15, Nicholas Robinson wrote:

> I haven't done anything so far, let alone blink a led!

In which case I have some examples here:

http://ubicomp.lancs.ac.uk/~martyn/sdcc_linux/  (Bottom of page)

> It's the extent to which I need to know about the RF aspects - or can you
> just assume the PIC components are black boxes that talk to each other?

Not easily.

> I'd wondered about using 18FXXXX simply because they seem to do everything
> except the RF, but then wondered if the rfPIC12 series would do what I
> want, but could it handle the master requirement? Or should I use the
> 18F1220 interfaced to a rfPIC12F675K for the master with individual
> rfPIC12F675K at the slaves?
>
> Or would I be better with DLP-RF1 or RF2 combination 2 2.4GHz Transceiver
> from DLP Design? This is superficially a bit pricey compared to the PIC
> solutions but by the time I've added it all up it might not be.

We've used these in the past:

http://www.radiometrix.co.uk/products/sp2.htm

I guess there about as black boxy as you are going to get.

They're not cheap, though the cheaper options generally have a nasty habit of
requiring time to get working. I guess it all depends on whether this is a
commercial design or a private one off project...

At any rate, getting 12-16 devices talking wirelessly over a distance of 30m
is going to be quite difficult, depending on bandwidth and how many walls are
in the way (walls, people, other stuff all attenuate RF signals) and how much
power you have - especially how much power you have. How long do these
devices need to function for between charges and how big a battery do you
think you can use?

Good luck, it sounds like quite a fun project, though it's going to be a lot
of work.

Martyn

- --
Martyn Welch ####@####.####