gnupic: Learning PIC on the job

Subject: Re: Learning PIC on the job
From: Herman Aalderink ####@####.####
Date: 10 Aug 2005 11:41:02 +0100

Nicholas Robinson wrote:
> Hi
>
> I'm completely new to PIC. I would be really grateful for some pointers as to
> which technologies/devices I should use so that I can target my learning
> towards my goal!
>
> The controlling application resides on a Linux notebook PC (or PDA???) using
> C++/Qt with a wired connection to a master PIC-based device. This master is
> in turn connected wirelessly to a variable (say 12-16) number of slaves at a
> range of up to 100 feet. The master and slaves need to be battery-operated.

> Any suggestions as to the best way to take this forward for someone based in
> the UK in terms of programmers/test kits, etc. would be most helpful.
>
> I have tried to make some guesses but I'd probably only embarrass myself if I
> included them here!
>
> Best wishes and thanks in advance
>
> Nick

Just about everything is new (and a problem) when starting with PICs.
After a lot of reading I homebrewed my own PIC-programmer.
It is cheap (way below $10). And I learned a lot.

I now have a good understandng of what is required. And how to proceed.

It is a ParallelPort programmer. I used a DB25 connector from an old printer-cable.
It works !
A parallel-port is easy to understand. Each control-sig has it's own DB-25-pin. No serial protocols to be understood/learned.

Main problem is to find the software that will work with the selected hardware. I found it all (hard- and software) on this page
http://winpicprog.co.uk/

HTH

Herman in PHL.