gnupic: Re: [gnupic] FW: Linux and C compilers for Microchip PIC

Subject: Re: [gnupic] FW: Linux and C compilers for Microchip PIC
From: David McNab ####@####.####
Date: 12 Aug 2005 06:26:49 +0100

Chen Xiao Fan wrote:
> CCS has a version for Linux as well but I am not so sure about
> the quality and the price.

Price is a quarter of that for hitech picc, and quality is excellent, in
terms of fast accurate and very compact code. It's improvisations might
offend some C purists though.

> SDCC is catching up, but it is much more mature for the PIC18F
> than the PIC16F. I think it is a good option to use SDCC and
> PIC18F for hobbyists on Linux if Wine is too troublesome. It is
> said that PIC18F is much better to use than PIC16F even though
> I have very limited experience with PIC18F.

From what I've seen, sdcc has a long way to go in terms of the quality
of the code generator - it's presently generating much larger code than
CCS does.

> If Wine is an option, then I think MPLAB C18 with PIC18F is a
> good option as well. They have the Student version for free.

Depends on the limitations in the student version.

Oh, and by the way, 18F is way better, 16F is best avoided unless one
has major part cost constraints.

Cheers
David