gnupic: Re: [gnupic] Learning PIC on the job

Subject: Re: [gnupic] Learning PIC on the job
From: Matthijs van Henten ####@####.####
Date: 13 Aug 2005 14:27:36 +0100

I have been 'learning' pic on the job -
I started out with a jdm programmer and destroyed a couple of pics while
moving the chip in and out of my cirquit.
Also I found it to be quite slow. i use a wisp628 kit now. in serial
programming, I just made another connector to my cirquit. I use a
dataswitcher  to switch between the cirquit serial output and it's
programming port and basically made a small experimentation board around
a 16f88 and 16f628 this way. I soldered nice colored wires to all of the
left over ports ( A0 to A5 and some of port B ) and stick them in to
breadboards to connect to other periferals.

compiling -> uploading to the pic -> reading debug output from serial
port takes 30 seconds, versus a cycle of 3 t o5 minutes and the risk of
breaking a leg off my pic sometimes.
the wisp kit can be build yourself or ordered but quite cheap.

cheers!