gnupic: gpsim stepping bug

Subject: gpsim stepping bug
From: David McNab ####@####.####
Date: 21 Aug 2005 23:03:55 +0100

Hi,

I've been using various versions of gpsim for testing/debugging code for
pic18f452.

Currently I'm using the CVS vers of gpsim.

With every version I've tried, the 'step' command ('s' in source or
progmem window, or 'step' command from console) works fine.

But the 'step over' command ('o' in src or progmem window, or 'step
over' in console) doesn't work. Effect of this latter command, when the
PC is at a CALL, is to actually enter the routine, show the first line,
then go into free running, ignoring breakpoints, with the console
repeatedly showing "'sleep' not implemented".

This bug is very painful, since I can't step over lengthy routines
without manually setting a breakpoint after the call.

Also, setting breakpoints in the source asm window doesn't work either.
The breakpoint is displayed, but it doesn't trip.

One last bug - even though I've got the .cod file properly loaded, gpsim
is not accepting the console command 'break e foo', where 'foo' is an
address label in the program. I noticed that gpsim 0.21.4 allowed this -
I'd downgrade to 0.21.4, except it has a dealbreaker bug of its own -
whenever I have the RAM window open, the source window doesn't update
with program execution.

Scott - Any prognosis and/or time estimate on these?

Lastly - sorry for coming across as a whiner - gpsim is great and has
saved my bacon on numerous occasions. It's an indispensable part of my
development cycle now. If you've got time, it'd be nice to see those
wrinkles get ironed out.

--
Cheers
David