gnupic: [gnupic] PICDEM FS USB CDC demo under Linux

Subject: RE: [gnupic] PICDEM FS USB CDC demo under Linux
From: Chen Xiao Fan ####@####.####
Date: 22 Aug 2005 04:42:00 +0100

Updating the linux kernel to Ubutu Breezy (2.6.12-7) partially solved the
problem. It is a painful process though. I spent quite sometime to update
the kernel image (to download all the dependent packages and fix the
problems). I am reluctant to build my own kernel. There are too many
Ubuntu (or Debian) specific patches and I still do not know how
to build my own kernel on Debian yet. So I have to use the
Breezy (testing version of Ubuntu) kernel. Then I need to update
libc and some other packages. I need to fix the problem of
libc6-devel conflict with some of my existing packages. I think
I need to try out the kernel building process on Debian again.
Back in the days of Slackware 3.5, it was a much easier process (even
though the computer was not as fast as my new AMD64 desktop).

Anyway now it works most of the time. I can now send and receive
from the board with CDC firmware. Right now only gtkterm
(gtkterm -p /dev/ttyACM0) works but not minicom and cutecom
(time out).

Hotplugging is still causing problems. To unplug and plug solves the
timeout problem sometimes. I would like to update the hotplug system
as well. But I run into dependency problem again. Right now I am
reluctant to update the whole system to Breezy ( I do not really
need that cutting edge stuff).

Regards,
Xiaofan

mcuee@ubuntu:~$ uname -a
Linux ubuntu 2.6.12-7-k7 #1 Fri Aug 19 13:46:31 UTC 2005 i686 GNU/Linux