gnupic: [gnupic] k150 USB Programmer and Rick Altherr's pp

Subject: [gnupic] k150 USB Programmer and Rick Altherr's pp
From: Micah Carrick ####@####.####
Date: 23 Aug 2005 17:05:51 +0100

Hello,

I posted a while back and Rick had helped me and I haven't been able to
work on it again until now.
First, I'd be curious to know how many people out there are using the
Kitsrus k150 USB PIC programmer
successfully in Linux? I'm using Fedora Core 4 and have not been successful.

If anybody can offer some suggestions for troubleshooting my problem?
I'd be very greatful
and gladly document all my findings online to help others with similar
problems should I be able to
get it resolved. Here's what I've done:

1. Loaded the FTDI module.
2. Upgraded and verified the firmware of the k150 to "P018"
3. Compiled and tinkered with pp

I'm still unable to work the programming software. I'm continually
getting the message:
Error: failed to reset board

which upon playing with the code, I've learned the following:

1. I noticed that after the first run of the program (until powering
down the programmer) and only
AFTER the first run, the programmer starts up with 'B' and 3 ready to be
read (just as the
software protocol says), but I don't understand why it happens only
after the first time running
the program. This seems to be simple "cleared" in pp.c with the following:

221: // For some reason there is always a left-over byte
222: read(serialFd,buffer,255);

2. Right after that, a call is made to the function programmer_reset()
which is in programmer.c where
the command 1 is sent and then 'Q' (ascii) is expected back, however, in
my case the read() function
is returning 0 bytes. I've been playing around and this is true when I
send just about any command.
The read operation always returns 0 bytes except for when the program
firsts starts (as I mentioned
above) where the read function returns 2 bytes, the 'B' (ascii) and 3
indicating a K150.

224: // Attempt to send a "reset"
225: if (programmer_reset(serialFd) != 0) {
226: printf("Error: failed to reset board\n");
227: return EX_SOFTWARE;
228: }

3. And the only other clues I have now is during the make I get several
errors similar to the two below
only I'm not sure what, if any, significance these have as they are just
warnings:

pp.c:78: warning: incompatible implicit declaration of built-in function
‘strcpy’
pp.c:304: warning: pointer targets in passing argument 2 of
‘programmer_read_config’ differ in signedness

And if you've gotten this far, thanks for taking the time to read my
boring old email :)

- Micah Carrick
http://www.micahcarrick.com