gnupic: LCD Example Segmentation Faults

Subject: LCD Example Segmentation Faults
From: Malcolm Coyne ####@####.####
Date: 28 Aug 2005 23:42:40 +0100

I have been interested in getting the LCD module working but when I run
the example code using "gpsim -c lcd_mod.asm" I get a segmentation
fault. It consistently occurs on the first time simulation of line 151
of the "lcd.asm" code, i.e.,

BSF LCD_CONTROL_PORT, LCD_E

I found a reference to segmentation faults that said they often result
from mismatched libraries. I went back and looked at "cofigure.log" and
found some dependency errors that I some how overlooked. So I wiped my
system clean (it's only used for playing around") and started over. I
tried installing everything from source starting with glib because many
of the dependency errors referenced function in it. I worked my way up
through gtk+, readline, atk, tiff, pango, gtk+extra and on to gputils
and gpsim.

After several retries of wipe and start over I gave up this approach. I
would almost get to having everything installed and then get to a
dependency or reference I could find how to resolve.

I then wiped and started to reinstall the four rpms from the gpsim site.
I was much more careful this time (I learned a lot more about the
intricacies of building from the two weeks monkeying around with the
source installs.) and made sure I got a clean install with dependencies
satisfied and no errors before I moved on to the next build.

I got a system that would assemble and simulate several PIC programs I
had created long ago on MPLab. I then built and tried running the lcd
example and got the same error. I then wiped the GPSIM rpm and
reimstalled it from the source RPM amd then reimstall the LCD assuming
this way that they would use the same libraries. Same error.

If there is a library dependency how do I identify which libraries and
what they should be. The only message I get is the single step trace
listing of the BSF command line and the GOTO of the next line and then
the words "Segmentation Fault", which is not very instructive. (I do see
the "Gtk-CRITICAL" message several lines earlier but a reference in the
gnupic forum says this is normal?)

I am using Mandrake 10.2 (Mandiva Limited Edition). Would I have less
problem with another distribution?

cheers,
Malcolm