gnupic: Proposed addition to gpasm

Subject: Proposed addition to gpasm
From: Bill Freeman ####@####.####
Date: 31 Aug 2005 14:54:51 +0100

	I have made an implementation of a scheme to make the "302"
messages more useful.  Those are the messages that caution you to be
certain that the bank select bits are correct whenever you reference
an address outside of bank 0 (my experience is primarily in the mid
range PICs).

	In a nutshell, you can keep the assembler apprised of what is
in the bank select bits, and it only complains about addresses that
don't match that assumption.  A macro package is supplied (for the 14
bit PICs) to make it easy to keep the information up to date.  (This
includes macros to use in place of explicitly fiddling with the RP
bits in status, and a replacement for BANKSEL.)  Currently this is
only applicable to absolute assembly.

	Should you be interested in trying it out, or reading the
documentation and/or source code changes, commenting on the design,
get http://www.mv.com/ipusers/ke1g/assume.tgz .  There is also a
regression test suite for the feature, which also serves somewhat
as samples of usage.

							Bill