gnupic: Re: [gnupic] RE: [PIC] Mini Howto: Microchip tools under Linux with Wine

Subject: Re: [gnupic] RE: [PIC] Mini Howto: Microchip tools under Linux with Wine
From: Rob Hamerling ####@####.####
Date: 10 Sep 2005 19:37:30 +0100

Hello Jeff,

Jeff wrote:
> On Saturday 10 September 2005 04:27 am, Rob Hamerling wrote:
>
>>Today I have released XWisp2 version 1.7.00.
>>Major enhancement: runs now also under Linux besides OS/2 eComStation
>>and Windows.
>>

> It may run under Linux, but it won't compile in Linux.

Thanks for trying, but who cares (apart from you apparently)?
I'm OS/2 user since many years and have no short term plan to abandon it
as my primary OS. I might switch to Linux for programming when there is
a compiler with which I can build a Linux, an OS/2 and a W32 executable.
Can GCC do that? If not I'll prefer Open Watcom C.
BTW In the past I have used several C compilers for Xwisp2, among which
GCC. The IBM Visual Age C compiler was by far the best: the most
extensive error/warning reports and the smallest executable. But none of
these except Watcom have cross-compile facility.

> Your makefile seems to be for OS2 (?). I made a Makefile for Linux, and gcc
> goes berserk when attempting to compile the code.

The makefiles in the package are for the Open Watcom C compiler (wmake).
And yes I run it under OS/2, but is that relevant?

> Some C files include "xwisp2.h", others include "XWisp2.h". Includes in Linux
> are case sensitive. After fixing that, I get a multitude of error messages
> regarding object types. Gcc is quite picky about proper typing (which is a
> Good Thing), and treats such things as passing a char pointer when it expects
> a const char pointer as an error, not a warning.

I'll have a look at the proper typing, maybe I can specify better
compiler options. I already made some effort to remove case issues with
Linux, and I'll try to remove 'm all!

Regards, Rob.

--
Rob Hamerling, Vianen, NL phone +31-347-322822
homepage: http://www.robh.nl/