gnupic: Re: [gnupic] RE: [PIC] gputils-mplab

Subject: Re: [gnupic] RE: [PIC] gputils-mplab
From: Craig Franklin ####@####.####
Date: 3 Oct 2005 01:28:26 +0100

Chen Xiao Fan wrote:

>Thanks for the clarification. I guess Microchip will
>probably not answer my question regarding the plug-in. ;-(

They have always been helpful when I asked them in the past.

>Actually I am quite curious about how you write
>gputils-mplab. The specifications of the .mtc and .ini
>file inside the plug-in directory are not published to the
>public by Microchip. I assume it is only given to some
>leading third party tool vendors. I could be wrong though.
>
>C:\Program Files\Microchip\MPLAB IDE\Core\MTC Suites

Send them a request, they will send the documents.  I have them, but I
wasn't given permission to redistribute.

>The latest plug-ins from Hi-Tech is in dll format.
>For example, the following is the batch file from
>HiTech PICC18.
>
>@echo off
>regsvr32 "C:\HTSOFT\PIC18\Suite_HITECH18.dll"
>
>I again assume that the format of the dll file is missing
>from Microchip.

Actually we are using the wrong terminology.  Microchip provides two
interfaces for third party tools.  The MTC/INI is really simple.  Create
a couple of text files and make some registry entries and it works.  The
other Microchip calls their "plugin" interface.  You sign an NDA and
they provide documentation about internal interfaces.  The plugin is
contained in dlls.  It gives you the most flexibility, but requires more
work.

I wasn't willing to sign an NDA, so I created the MTC/INI based
gputils-mplab.