gnupic: PICP , OLIMEX serial port programmer

Subject: PICP , OLIMEX serial port programmer
From: Rajesh Sankaran ####@####.####
Date: 25 Oct 2005 23:38:40 +0100

HI All ,

    I am trying to program PICs using PICP and the OLIMEX serial port
programmer . My set up ;

  compiler : ccsc on a linux box (remotely)
  programmer : Olimex serial port programmer
  programming system : power book G4 , mac os x tiger
  PICP for programming : version 0.6.6
  USB - Serial Adapter : GUC232A

  The GUC232A shows up in the /dev as cu.usbserial  tty.usbserial.
When i try to program using PICP , I get the following errors ,

programmer not detected (CTS is false)

  I have a small TCL code that gives a GUI for the PICP , it lists
the following errors

programmer not detected (CTS is false)
failed to set up the serial port
programmer not detected (CTS is false)
failed to set up the serial port
     while executing
"exec /sw/bin/picp /dev/tty.usbserial $device  -bp -wp program.hex "
     invoked from within
".buttons.frame5.8 invoke"
     ("uplevel" body line 1)
     invoked from within
"uplevel #0 [list $w invoke]"
     (procedure "tk::ButtonUp" line 23)
     invoked from within
"tk::ButtonUp .buttons.frame5.8"
     (command bound to event)

     I then installed the Z term for serial ports and unchecked the
FLOW Control options X0n/X0FF & Hardware handshake  in the
connections settings , but no luck .

  I tried the slattach command but got the following error
(the page gives a different description of the command . http://
www.osxfaq.com/man/8/slattach.ws )

" ioctl(TIOCSETD): Operation not supported by device "

then a bit of googling led me to this page

http://www.linuxhacker.org/cgi-bin/ezmlm-cgi/1/4411

"It appears to be the Olimex programmer, which should work, but I
don't have
one to test with.

You may need to modify the programmer support section in the pic
definitions
in file 'picdev.c' for it to work. It depends on how the programmer
identifies itself. If it reports that it's a PicStart Plus, then it
should
work with picp. If not, I've begun adding support for Olimex in
picdev.c, but
someone else will have to test it.

BTW, in the next version of picp, device info will come from a
configuration
file rather than being compiled into the code."

Can you throw some light on the same ?

   I haven't been able to communicate with the Programmer . Can you
help me with soem idea ?

bye

Thanks

Raj